Thursday, September 25, 2008

Women in Video Games

Why are all video games geared towards men when 41 one percent of women play. You almost never play as a female character. In a rpg the type of are women are usually the love interests, the sweet cheerful character and the mysterious women. You do occasionally get a character that does not run into these stereotypes but it not often. You almost never have to rescue a captured male. When you do get a female main character in any genre it usually is a very exaggerated version to please men. Women are always more sexualized then men in video games because they use them to sell for men what brings me back to my question why do games usually targeted for males instead of females

8 comments:

Nikori said...

Well, in Final Fantasy X-2 you play as Yuna! And you have to go around looking for Tidus, or something to that effect.

But I agree- women in video games are definetly exagerated. Like Lara Croft in the tomb raider series- none of the models they had play her, not even Angelina Jolie, could match her measurements.

And then, you have characters such as Felicia from Darkstalkers, Cassandra from Soul Calibur, Jade from Mortal Combat, and Samus in the original Metroid game who wear nothing more then fancy bikinis while supposedly fighting.

Britty said...

I LOVE FFX2! It's one of my favorite games, but have you looked at most of their costumes? They're extremely revealing.
I have to agree, it's pretty ridiculous the way we're portrayed. I've played many video games, and each game at least one of the women is seen unrealistically.

Jacquelyn said...

I agree. I watch my boyfriend play war games, and basketball games and you never see women portrayed, and if you do they are usually stereotypes. I think that we need to take more interest into what our kids are playing and what they are learning. Women first need to stand up and say that we are not ok with this and do something about it.

Nikori said...

Britty-

I agree! I love FFX-2. I was just commenting on the fact that the main character you play as is female. And many of the dresspheres (Specifically the theif one) are a bit skimpy... some of them aren't. The Animal Trainer one, for instance, and also the Mascot one.

There are hardly any female characters in war games- especially Halo. Am I right? I've only played it twice, so I'm not positive about that... but yeah.

AwkwardMorning said...

It all depends on the genre of video game that you are looking to play. I mean look at the Sims that game is geared toward women. And the action games like halo are geared toward men so of course you going to have sexy female characters. And you tend to see the people marketing thier stuff to teenage boys and that says a lot right there.

Britty said...

Haha Nikori, that is true. I guess I tend to remember the ones that would be considered "revealing"..
There is one female I remember in Halo (I used to be highly addicted to this game, it's sad I cannot remember).. But I can't remember what she looks like.
The Sims.. I've never played the console version but the PC game did give us a more realistic view of women.
The only game I could say I agree with the body type is World of Warcraft, the human female IS the general size of women. However as awkwardmorning said, most of it is marketed to teenage boys, and even Blizzard doesn't hold back with their designs..
Still, all that marketing to teenage boys making us sex symbols, it's a shame.

sunshine said...

Even though I am not a big video gamer I still do have two brothers that play alot of video games. Every now and then I like to play with them and all of their games never have woman characters. They mostly play Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty. Since men are seen in society as more agressive , and these are agressive games so people may say that is why they do not make female characters in them. Female characters do not always have to be sexy, but because video games are geared towards men they are made more attractive for the male eyes.

Kristenp said...

Have you heard of the video game called "Konami's Rumble Roses"?

Check it out

http://www.gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=6938

It’s a video game with girls wearing almost nothing. Their chests are hanging out. They wrestle each other. You pick your character. You can also play two players. The video game is horrible. The girls grab each other sexually in these wrestling moves and shriek sexually so it’s disgusting. Each character has a persona, like Cow-Girl Dixie. It is very degrading.